Friday, October 18, 2013

Elder’s Corner: My Number One Priority

The Lord is triumphant over all! THOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER gods before Me (Exodus 20:3). This always seemed a simple command to me. Monday April 15th our house caught on fire. Thankfully no one was hurt and the structure is fine. Last week I spent two or three days going through my possessions photographing various melted clumps and inventorying them for the insurance company. Many of these things were nothing more than little hunks of metal that fly through the air, but because of the times these things are not replaceable. I found myself going through the ashes saying to myself it is only stuff, and slowly getting more and more frustrated by the loss of this ”stuff.”
My friends, I do not bow down to these possessions, I do not worship these things, or sing praises, or pray to them, but I spent more time thinking about them than I did my Savior. This is not correct and I find myself being ashamed of my obvious failure in observing this simple command that I thought I had no issues with. Be careful! I realized my possessions were far more important to me than what they should be.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment