Friday, October 18, 2013

Elder's Corner: Day to Day Living

I want to thank Beth and Matt for the opportunity to contribute to this effort to share our thoughts and meditations in this newsletter so that other Christians can read it and one day they can do the same. Before I begin, I would like to let you know that sometimes it is not easy to make myself understood, even though we believe the same as a Christians, read the same Bible, and share in the same Spirit and faith.
 I'm going to try to be simple and write about the things which we may not even think of as very important. For example, Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:30-33 refers to the very mundane activities like eating. "If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?  So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved."
There are several activities that we do in our daily lives which we don't think of as influencing others.  Many of us are parents, employees or maybe even bosses who make decisions.  We may not think that these decisions have any repercussions upon our Christian faith or witness. But Paul refers to some things like eating and drinking, things we do in our daily life, that reflect our faith. Even though Paul doesn't mention it here, we can add how we talk, how we dress, and how we behave. It makes me think about one of the "children songs" that we sang last Sunday that said to be careful about our ears, mouth, feet, eyes and hands.
The message that Paul cautions is don't make others stumble by our own careless attitude. This is the same as the message of the little kids’ song to be careful. This message is found again in 1 Peter 4:11, telling us that the actions of our behaviors should have the aim to give the honor to God and Savior: "whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To Him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."
          Enrique

No comments:

Post a Comment