Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Elder’s Corner: Why Garden?


It seems every year I get a little bit further behind on getting my garden put out. It rains or the soil is too hard, or I'm busy with other projects. My wife says “you can buy tomatoes and cucumbers at the vegetable stand or market and you would save yourself lots of work.” I object because I know the gardening is actually good therapy for me and may also help me burn a few extra calories. The real reason I choose to garden is because of the spiritual therapy it gives me. It reminds me of how dependent on God the children of Israel were, as they depended on rains for crops and animals and to sustain them.
As we get away from the totally agricultural community that they lived in, we sometimes forget that God blessed nations who honored Him. The farmers sometimes hope for life giving rain for their crops and I'm reminded that the garden needs water too. True I can run a hose to the garden to water it, but they didn't have that option. They had to depend on God to supply their very livelihood. If the crops didn't survive neither did they, and many didn't survive when droughts persisted and a famine occurred. It reminded them to pray and give God glory for His goodness through their crop production. They even had a feast of harvest to celebrate His divine intervention in their lives. I think we need to be drawn to our knees as well and thank Him for His intervention in our lives. This coronavirus has also made me think if I raise my own produce I could survive without trips to the store if necessary. I hope those green beans just keep coming.   
--Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment