Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Elder’s Corner: Have You Been To The Well Lately?


“Well I spent some time this morning drinking water from the well. It tasted so refreshing and as far as I can tell. It will satisfy my thirst until I come to drink again, And dip my bucket in the well of wisdom for all men.”
These were the words from a song that the group “God's Messengers” sang back when I was growing up (so you know it was a long time ago!) The words relate to the idea that there is wisdom to be found in the Word of God and that we should “drink often” from it. In fact, I just came in from watering my new trees that I planted a couple of weeks ago. Most were in need of a good watering. One of them had leaves that had curled up and turned brown. It occurred to me that I hadn't given it a drink since I had set it out. I don't think it will survive. I think that could also be true of the Christian who doesn't refresh himself often on the nutrients found in scripture.
Listen to some of the refreshment mentioned from Proverbs chapter 3. “How blessed is the man who finds wisdom. And the man who gains understanding. For her profit is better than the profit of silver, And her gain better than fine gold. She is more precious than jewels; And nothing you desire compares with her. Long life is in her right hand; In her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, And all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her. And happy are all who hold her fast. The Lord by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens. By His knowledge the deeps were broken up, And the skies drip with dew.”
These words contain the truth that God is the author of wisdom. He wants us to come and fill ourselves up with the gems found in His love letter to us. He knows if we do we will live abundant lives because we will start to reflect His wisdom to others. If we don't “drink up,” I'm afraid we will be like that tree with curled up leaves, so GO TO THE WELL!   
—Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment