Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Elder’s Corner: So You're Feeling Good About Your Christian Walk


If you look up the definition of Christian you find the following: an adherent of Christianity (noun), disciple (noun); then under adjectives the following definitions: of or relating to Christianity, based on or conforming with Christianity, professing Christianity, commendably decent or generous, one who has a deep concern for others.  So I wonder which one of these definitions I'm like most of the time. My definition of a Christian has always been someone who is “like Christ.” 
God has given me many opportunities this past week to be like Him. Some of these included taking someone to an appointment, providing food for a person in need, providing gas, helping with someone's electric bill, repairing household items for someone, mowing for someone, etc. So I've learned I'm most like Christ when I'm serving others. You remember He came not to be served, but to serve (Matt. 20:28).
So then the “check your attitude light comes on” in my head. I now notice I don't mind doing these things as long as I don't have a conflict with things I want to do. In other words as long as it’s convenient for me I want to be like Christ. As long as it doesn't interfere with “my activities” I want to follow and serve Him.  He just better not expect it when I want to watch the Cardinals, or go shopping, or go to a ballgame with family, or go mushroom hunting, etc. So I reach this question “How much time am I really giving Him, or living out being “like Christ?” 
So now I must answer the question, just like you must, which activities and opportunities for service glorify God the most? I've got to tell you, I don't always choose right, but I'm getting better at showing the world what the real Jesus looks like. Then I read passages like John 12:25-27 and realize I'm not in the same pew with Christ, I'm not even in the same stadium with Him. Listen to His words as He describes “giving all”--not just when it's convenient. “He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also, if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. Now My soul has become troubled, and what shall I say, Father save Me from this hour? But for this purpose I came to this hour.”
Jesus was willing to go to His death for us knowing the future held something better for Him. Are you willing to trade “your wants” in this life knowing the future holds something better for you? I'm working on that attitude of the heart—I hope you are too.  
—Alan




No comments:

Post a Comment