Thursday, March 4, 2021

Elder’s Corner: Baseball and Attitude

 I turned on the radio after church last Sunday and heard the familiar voice of Mike Shannon doing a Cardinal's broadcast.  It sounded so good and reminded me that things are getting back to “normal.”

It also reminded me of my favorite baseball quote:  “Every strike I take is one pitch closer to a home run.” --Babe Ruth.    

Most of life is about how our attitudes effect how we decide to view our purpose for being here.  Why were you born in this generation, in this particular place on the planet?   People born in different places and different periods of time in history have all had to answer that question— “Why am I here?”

When I get a chance to reflect on the “purpose of life”, it always comes back to my relationship with my Creator.  Does God have a purpose for my existence?  You Bet!  And when I'm in tune with allowing His purpose to be my purpose, I'm most content and most at peace.  The world tries to get us into the mentality to think of ourselves first (just think about TV commercials), when God tries to get us to think of others first.  We should be willing to try His advice, after all He thought about us first instead of Himself when He allowed His Son to suffer on our behalf. 

For you have been called for this very purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps.  Who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in His mouth, and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously, and he Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness, for by His wounds you were healed” (1 Peter 2:21-24 NASB).  

So when you are lying there on your death bed and asking yourself “Did I make a difference?” I hope you can answer “Yes.”  I also hope you know that every bad circumstance that comes your way means you're one pitch closer to a home run.   

--Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment