Thursday, June 25, 2020

Elder’s Corner: I Hate that Weed!


I was in the garden watering and tending to my tomato plants the other day. I noticed these long curly vines had wound themselves around some of the plants. I had already watered the tomatoes, so it was easy to pull the grass out that was growing around the plants. But when I tried to pull these vines out they just broke off under the dirt. I knew if I didn't get the roots out they would come right back. So I watered more and dug deep down. I finally found out why these weeds are a thorn in my side. There is a complex root system which is like an underground fence. When you pull one of the vines it breaks off and leaves the others attached.
I got to thinking about how important it is for each of us to have a network of friends to help when the world (Satan and his helpers) starts attacking us. 1 Peter 5:8-11 says “Be on the alert because your adversary the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen
So remember, we are all in this together, to support and lift each other up until that day when He calls us home. Let's not let this Covid 19 outbreak cause us to isolate ourselves spiritually from the ones who can make us stronger (even if we are apart physically).  
—Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment