Thursday, February 20, 2020

Elder’s Corner: A Father's Love


Well, I just finished holding my newborn grandson a few minutes ago. I got to hold him and play with him for a couple of days as Erin brought him up to help celebrate my birthday. He is growing so fast and learning to look around to see all the new things. I was thinking how a father's love for his grandchild never changes even as the child becomes less dependent on others for help. Several verses came to my mind as I held him close. “Train up a child in the way that he should go, and even when he is old he will not depart from it” (Pro. 22:6).
Jesus used stories to talk in terms, that the people in His culture, could relate to (See Matt's article http://eugenechristianchurch.blogspot.com/2020/01/theology-201-13-cultural-commands-part.html). In John chapter 10, Jesus talks of His followers as sheep. It was a good analogy because all the listeners would have been familiar with the habits of sheep and their shepherd. He said this in verses 27 and following “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.”  
As I was holding on to Carson Alan, I thought I wouldn't let anyone come and take him away by force. The verses above point out that God won't let others come and take His children either, but they might walk away by their own choice. I don't know where you are on your daily journey with God. Perhaps you have walked away, taken a detour that really hasn't been good for you. Let me say this the Father is always looking and hoping you will return to the flock because He loves YOU!  
—Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment