Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Elder’s Corner: Another Love Gone “Right” Story


In February, I was in a retail store on Valentine's Day getting a card for my Valentine. In walked a guy who stated, matter of factly, “my wife broke her promise to me.” I thought “Oh no, another love gone wrong story.” My mind started racing to how she might have hurt him with her betrayal. Then he continued, we promised not to get anything for each other for Valentine's Day, but when I opened my lunchbox at work there was a Card she had included with my lunch. He mentioned it caused him to shed a tear of thankfulness. So he was there to get her a card. So it turned out to be a love gone “right.”
Then I thought of how many times I had broken my promises to God (but He has never broken His promises to me!) So I began to think how I should respond to God when I've betrayed Him. First of all, state the facts: God loves me (you) and has since before He formed us. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life” (John 3:16).
Second, is to confess my shortcomings (sin) to Him. 1 John 1:9 says “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
Third, and maybe the hardest, is to repent (to change my behavior, “to turn around”). 2 Peter 3:9 says, “The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.” And Luke 24:47 states “and that repentance for forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.”
The last thing that I find helps me is to know I'm not alone in this struggle and to know others are facing trials as well. The second part of Hebrews 13:5 states it this way “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,” The early chapters of Acts gives a great history and example of how we should support one another in daily living. It points out how small group participation strengthens each member of the group. Acts 2:42-47 “And they were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer, And everyone kept feeling a sense of awe, and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles. And all those who had believed were together, and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions, and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need. And day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God, and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.”
What a great example of how God does “Love Done Right!”
—Alan




No comments:

Post a Comment