Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Elder’s Corner: The Asterisk “*” at the Bottom of the Page


I was reading a Biblical passage the other day and ran across an asterisk in the text.  At the bottom of the page it gave more information about the word that had been used in the sentence.  It was to further define and give more understanding to the reader of what was meant.  It is a helpful tool to create a complete understanding of the text.  I got to thinking “this is what it says” and “this is what it really means.” 
I began wondering if my life really represents “who I am” or if there should be an asterisk attached to my life to indicate who I really am.  Am I who I say I am or someone different?  I was thinking of some Biblical characters and other descriptions given about their lives.  David - “a man after God's own heart” (1 Sam. 13:14) and yet in Matthew 1:6 we are reminded of David's sin with Bathsheba.  It is a footnote to his life that he let sin interrupt his walk with God.  So I started thinking what things have I let interfere with my walk with the Lord.  I wish I could say that it was a very short list, but in reality, it is easy to let things take us away from the One who loves us most.  I hope the footnote at the bottom of your life might say:  “He was a person of prayer,” “He was generous,” “He had time for others,” “He cared about people,” “He read God's word and lived it out in his life.”  Or simply “No footnotes needed—he lives like who he says he is!” 
--Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment