Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Elder’s Corner: Ouch


A few days ago I apparently got a splinter in the palm of my hand. I didn't even notice when, where, or how it happened. Today I woke up with pain, redness, and puss surrounding the splinter. I got out the needle, knife, tweezers, and antibiotic and went to work. In no time I had the splinter out, antibiotic applied and a Band-Aid to keep infection out. It was only a minor thing when it started but turned into a “hurt” because I left it untreated. It reminded me of what sometimes happens in people, churches, families, and workplaces, when something small can turn into a big “hurt.”
God's word is full of ways to interact with people to prevent these feelings from happening. Consider a few verses: Philippians 2:3-4 “Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves. Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.” When you start seeing what other people endure (walk a mile in their shoes), you will be better able to understand what may cause a reaction in them. Jesus was perfect at seeing “hurting” people and ministering to those needs. We need to learn to see the world through His eyes.
Matthew 7:12 “In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” Jesus knew if we “love others the way we love ourselves”, the world would be a better place. He also knew we might sometimes hurt others, I think this is why His forgiveness to us, and ours to others is such an important practice for Christians. Matthew 6:14 “For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.” This is why I have had to seek out brothers and sisters that I have wronged and apologize for my actions. This verse reminds us of our flaws and failures but mostly it reminds us of His grace.
So if you want to be restored to fellowship with a dear friend take this time to practice God's perfect forgiveness. Or you could just not do anything and let that wound continue until your hand is so festered and infected like mine was, that it can never be restored to usefulness. I hope you choose “love.”   
—Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment