Thursday, April 28, 2016

Elder’s Corner: Trees in all the wrong places!

I didn't get my pre-emergent herbicide spread on my asparagus bed soon enough this year.  So yesterday I was spending the extra time to pull weeds out to let the vegetable grow.  As I was pulling weeds I noticed several tiny evergreen trees were also growing.  I hadn't planted them there, but fifty feet away is an evergreen tree.  Then I remembered this verse: Then God said, “Let the land burst forth with every sort of grass and seed-bearing plant.  And let there be trees that grow seed-bearing fruit.  The seeds will then produce the kinds of plants and trees from which they came.”  And so it was.  The land was filled with seed-bearing plants and trees, and their seeds produced plants and trees of like kind.  And God saw that it was good” (Gen. 1:11-12 NLT).  This was part of the creation which happened on the third day. 
So I started thinking again about a question I was asked by someone “What's the purpose of a disciple?”   This illustration from God's creation story helped me answer that question.  One of the main purposes of a disciple is to make other disciples.  If even trees and plants know that their purpose (God gave them that purpose) is to propagate other trees and plants shouldn't disciples (followers of Jesus) know that their main purpose is to help others be like Jesus.

—Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment