Friday, February 26, 2016

Man, The Image of God #5: What in the World Am I Here for (Part 4)?—Blessed to be a Blessing

It is God Himself who has made us what we are and given us new lives from Christ Jesus; and long ago He planned that we should spend these lives in helping others” (Eph. 2:10 LB).
One thing that I’ve learned talking to people over the years is that both Christians and non-Christians alike have a desire deep within them to make a difference in other people’s lives. This is frequently why people become medical professionals, firefighters, police officers, school teachers, social workers, etc. Rick Warren said, “In God’s kingdom, you have a place, a purpose, a role, and a function to fulfill. This gives your life great significance and value… (When we serve others, being motivated by a love for God, we are actually serving the Lord). We don’t serve God out of guilt or fear or even duty, but out of joy, and deep gratitude for what He’s done for us” (Purpose Driven Life, p. 228). 
You and I have been blessed to be a blessing. We are meant to help others. When you help others, needs are met, lives are changed, you feel better about yourself, and the world becomes a better place.
Unfortunately though, many suppress their God-given purpose of helping others. “Serving tends to be the opposite of our natural inclination. Most of the time we’re more interested in ‘serve us’ than service. We say, ‘I’m looking for a church that meets my needs and blesses me, not ‘I’m looking for a place to serve and be a blessing.’ We expect others to serve us, not vice versa. But as we mature in Christ, the focus of our lives should increasingly shift to living a life of service. The mature follower of Jesus stops asking, ‘Who’s going to meet my needs? And starts asking, “Whose needs can I meet?” (Purpose Driven Life, p. 231).
Corrie Ten Boom said, “The measure of a life after all, is not its duration, but its donation.” You and I were born to be a blessing to others. Therefore, in the words of John Wesley, “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you can.”
This is one of the reasons that we at Eugene Christian Church seek to offer a variety of opportunities to serve and help those within the community and abroad. And God has blessed us with several very gifted and skilled individuals who can serve in a great variety of ways. However, one’s gifts and talents do not exclude them from being a blessing to others.
The Bible tells us that there will be a Day when Jesus returns and He will say to some as they give an account for their lives: “…Come, you who are blessed by My Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited Me in, I needed clothes and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you came to visit Me.' "Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and invite You in, or needing clothes and clothe You? When did we see You sick or in prison and go to visit You?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.' (Matt. 25:34-40).
What matters is the little things we do for others. So may all of us seek out ways that we can be a blessing to others, and you my friend, will be blessed in return.   
In His service,

     Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment