Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Elder’s Corner: Are you turning “gray”?

 I have one of those “significant” birthdays coming up in a couple of months.  I looked in the mirror the other day and noticed some gray around the sideburns.  But that's not the gray I'm referring to.  The weather finally got cold enough to need heat.  So I built a fire in the furnace.  It turned warm the next day so I didn't need a fire.  Then it got chilly the next day (Missouri weather at its best!)  I opened the furnace door and saw only ashes from two days ago.  I took the poker and stirred them up.  To my amazement there were still coals glowing mixed up in the ashes.  I added kindling, then large logs on top and turned on the firebox blower.  Soon I had a roaring fire and warmth.  Which brings me to the analogy of our lives. 
I wonder if time has allowed our bright impact on the world to dull, to become ashes instead of glowing embers.  It reminded me of Paul's encouragement to Timothy (2 Tim. 1:6) to “kindle afresh” or “fan into flames” the gift of God which is in you.  As the New Year dawns, I encourage you to rekindle the spark that is within you.  Use the gifts and talents God has given you in this New Year to serve others and they will see your flame burning brightly.  And don't worry about the “gray” hair.  I can't see the gray for the “glowing”.   Have a Great Year!  

—Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment