Thursday, September 3, 2015

Elder’s Corner: Throw in the towel–or take up the towel

One of my favorite boxer quotes is the response given to his trainers when they said to the fighter your opponent isn't laying a hand on you. He replied “you better keep an eye on the referee then, because someone is beating the heck out of me.”  Sometimes I feel that way about the world and how it sometimes gets the best of me.  The discouragement comes when I see people being mean to each other, calling others names, cheating, lying, stealing from others, etc.  They are not treating others the way they would want to be treated (Matt. 7:13). 
There is also the threat from within to quit caring about people and live only for oneself (the humanistic philosophy of today—the devil's lie).  Sometimes I don't feel like I'm making a difference (usually when I let the ideas of the world creep into my thinking).  Romans 1:21 says “For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.”  So I was folding towels this morning after the dryer stopped and decided to give thanks to God for the little jobs He gives us to do.  It was remarkable how my attitude changed. 
I thought about serving others and how Jesus took up the towel to serve mentioned in John 13:4.  I again felt a purpose in my life even in serving in the smallest of ways.  Doing laundry is a way I can serve my wife Judy and also serve God.  God gave us each talents to use for Him.  It doesn't matter what the talent is –but that you are willing to use it for Him.  I'm feeling much more fulfilled now. 
Which brings me to my other favorite boxer quote “The only thing you have to do is get up one more time than your opponent.” So keep getting up when the world knocks you down.  Then we can say with Paul “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, shall award to me on that day; and not to me only but also to all those who love His appearing” (2 Tim. 4:7-8).

—Alan

1 comment: