Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Worldview #1: The Big Picture Questions

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5).
It has been said, “In the journey of life, it’s ok for me to stop and ask for directions.” As a child, I loved asking the infamous, pestering question of ‘Why?’  Why is the grass green?  Why does the sun shine?  Why does the ant crawl? And now as a parent, I know that it will not be long until I start to hear some of those same questions from my son.
Yet, am I ready to answer the barrage of questions that I know are coming?  How can I answer his questions when I have questions of my own that life has challenged me with?  Maybe you have some of the same questions.  I want to encourage you to join me as I explore some tough questions that have locked some into a pretzel.
In fact, life seems to be full of questions. The answers to some questions really do not make a whole lot of difference. However, there are some questions that do! The questions that have the greatest significance pertain to a person’s worldview.  Questions like…
· Where did all of creation come from? How was the earth, as we know it today, shaped geologically? And what difference does this mean to mankind?
· How is right from wrong determined? Does absolute truth exist; in other words, is what is true for you not necessarily true for me?
· Is there a God?
· Are all the various religions constructs of mankind? Or in other words, do all religions teach the same thing and conclude with the same result? How is it possible to know if any of them are correct?
· What is the purpose or meaning of life? Does it matter what a person does and how they live?
· What causes the pain and suffering we experience throughout our lifetimes?
· What happens when we die?
There are serious questions that can and should be answered.  Questions, that once understood, can impact our lives. Unfortunately, there are also numerous answers to these questions. Therefore, my plan is simply to examine some of the most widely held views, consider where the evidence points to, and then leave it in your hands, while praying that we are granted wisdom with the answers that we discover.
In His service,
            Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment