Thursday, July 31, 2014

Elder's Corner: Self Justification

Have you ever thought you had to justify your actions?  Most of us do at some point.  Maybe it is the new gun you want or perhaps a new pair of shoes.  Possibly a horse or a special show chicken, tractor, sawmill, another drink, another woman, drugs, anything that does not belong to you or anything you should not have.  
I was reflecting this week on a man's suggestion to me.  Several years ago I was trying to justify spending several thousand dollars on a new lawn mower.  He gave me a simple piece of advice.  Write it down on a paper, place it in your wallet wrapped around your money or credit card, and glance at it every time you pay for something.  After one month, reconsider the obligation of paying for it.  I think that advice is true for most things.  The list I opened went from kinda funny to kinda ugly.  Make sure that when you justify that new toy that you consider the true cost.  If you try to justify a sin, remember the wages of sin is death (Rom. 6:23). There is no justifying sin. 

--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment