Friday, June 27, 2014

Elder’s Corner: I Quit!

Back in March and April I started to see I was getting out of shape because I wasn't getting to go to the gym and play basketball anymore.  I decided I needed to start an exercise regimen.  I reluctantly climbed on the treadmill and began running.  I ran a mile and thought this will never end.  I began to increase the distance after a couple of weeks. 
Soon I was up to a couple of miles.  Then three miles and my time to complete the distance was taking less and less.  I was following up the treadmill with calisthenics.   I felt better and had more energy.  I was able to sleep better and was getting stronger.  I knew it was good for me even though I dreaded taking the time to complete the exercises. 
Then one day I skipped doing them. (I had too many important things to do!) I thought I'll continue tomorrow.  The next day I had another important project to complete.  The truth is I was looking for an excuse not to have to take time to exercise even though I knew it was good for me.  It reminded me of church. 
In my last fifty or so years at ECC these are some excuses I've heard for not attending:
·          My family is home. (Why not bring them?)
·          I've got to fix dinner.
·          I don't like the preacher.
·          I've got to go somewhere Sunday afternoon.
·          I didn't agree with the sermon.
·          The church is full of hypocrites. (What’s one more? :)
·          My car broke down.
·          The sermon lasted ten minute too long.
Well it reminded me of my lame excuses for not exercising.  When we make excuses to not attend church (even though we know it is good for us), we were probably looking for a reason to not attend anyway.  And just like my quitting my exercise regimen, it will leave you weak!  “And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of His coming back again is drawing near.” (Heb. 10:25 NLT)    

--Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment